Bison Burger with Wild Game Rub
2 lbs ground bison
2-3 tbsp Wild Game Rub (adjust to taste)
4 hamburger buns
Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato slices, onion rings, cheese slices (such as cheddar or gouda), pickles
Condiments: ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, or any specialty sauces you prefer
- Prepare the Patties: In a large bowl, gently mix the ground bison with the Wild Game Rub. Be careful not to overwork the meat to keep the burgers juicy and tender. Form the mixture into 4 equal-sized patties, about 3/4 inch thick. Make a small indentation in the center of each patty with your thumb to prevent it from puffing up during cooking.
- Preheat the Grill: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using a charcoal grill, wait until the coals are covered with gray ash and glowing red with no black remaining.
- Grill the Burgers: Place the patties on the grill and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, or longer if you prefer your burgers more well done. Avoid pressing down on the burgers while they cook, as this can release their juices and make them dry.
- Add Cheese (Optional): If you’re adding cheese, place a slice on each patty during the last minute of grilling to allow it to melt.
- Toast the Buns: Place the hamburger buns cut side down on the grill and toast them lightly, about 1 minute.
- Assemble the Burgers: Place each patty on a bun and add your favorite toppings and condiments. Suggestions include lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, ketchup, mustard, or mayonnaise.
- Serve: Serve the burgers immediately, accompanied by sides like grilled vegetables, coleslaw, or potato salad.